Re: [squid-users] Squid binary for Windows with auth in accelerated mode?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 18:26:32 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004, Serassio Guido wrote:

> Henrik:
> I have forgotten this detail ...., thanks for remember me it.
>
> But I have a question for you: why don't make this a squid.conf option like
> "httpd_accel_authentication on|off" valid only when Squid runs as an httpd
> accelerator ?

The problem is already solved in Squid-3.0 with the split of acceleration
and interception, completely eleminating the need for this define.

Squid-2.5 is in bug maintenance mode since long back so there should be no
new features unless security related or otherwise critical. And by
experience making this option visible people will abuse it in interception
mode without understanding what it does and then get badly bitten by their
users even if we write in bold capital letters all over the place that
this is not possible (which is why the define was added) so I prefer
having discussion about it each time a user needs this feature of
accelerator more authentication in Squid-2.5 or earlier.

In the NT build such abuse is less likely as interception with NT is very
uncommon, so I don't mind if this option is enabled by default there
especially not considering that compiling Open Source programs scares most
NT admins and is somewhat more complex than in the UNIX world..