[squid-users] news ! Mirroring Windows Update and Squid Accelerator

From: <sampei02@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 15:08:15 +0200

I Found a solution about "no route to host" messagge which appers when browser
goes to Windows Update site

analyzing system.
I type in the url of my browser directly Windows Update site and not IP
addresses.
I insert into the "hosts" file, located in system directory, all server
names which W.U. wants to meet. So I

specified in this file more Ip address (correspondent to the virtual ip
address in squid accelerator) to point to the several servers necessary
for Windows Update process.
I sniffed packets and I saw an interesting thing.

Browser's client sends a request on 443 port (https) to the Squid Accelerator
but Accelerator listen only to 80 port and not 443 . I saw Squid acting
as Proxy server listen to a particular port (usually 3128) but it's able
to accept https requests which are indicated inside url; so it can answer
browser.
Instead Accelerator doesn't know how handling https requests because there
is the only 80 port listened.
It's possible to have the same Squid Accelerator listen on more ports or
to be able to accepr https requests ?

regards

Riccardo

Social price: l'ADSL diventa per tutti
Tiscali ADSL Senza Canone 640Kbps: GRATIS fino al 3 maggio costo
di adesione, attivazione e il modem per tutto il 2004. E per i primi 3 mesi,
con il Tiscali social price, navighi a 1,5 euro l'ora! Affrettati!
http://point.tiscali.it/adsl/prodotti/640Kbps/