Re: [squid-users] Using Squid with a RHS DNSBL for filtering?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 19:50:18 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004, Support ePaxsys/FRWS wrote:

> This has the potential to greatly reduce the size and complexity of the
> Squid lists needed to do effective filtering, reduce memory and CPU usage,
> and of course, 'should' help Squid work more efficiently as a result. No?

Agreed.

> I searched the Internet, the mail list archives and everywhere I could
> think of, but could not find a plugin/module to do this.

It is trivial to write one using the external acl mechanism.

> Does one exist?

Probably not.

The principle is quite similar to how the Cerberian content filter works,
except that Cerberian looks at the whole URL and uses a proprietary lookup
method (not DNS).

> Easy to make if it does not?

Trivial.

> Would be willing to share results and possibly even host a RHS DNSBL
> list should we get it to be a viable alternative to the current list
> based solutions.

Sounds great!

But be warned that maintaining a web site category system is a major
undertaking. Technology is simple, the content not.