Re: [squid-users] SNMP Agent Issue

From: Jay W. Reffner <reffner@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 21:37:07 -0400

I realize that the Squid SNMP agent is intended as an application SNMP agent and thus it doesn't report the MIB II tree. But by definition of the RFC's it should have, in my humble opinion, been implemented as an SNMP subagent (i.e. sagt), not a stand alone agent. Running two agents creates problems for SNMP management applications such as HP OpenView NNM because they can't split their queries from one MIB OID tree to one port such as 161 to the other MIB OID tree on another port. Plus it chews up additional system resources running two master agents per system. I guess the real fix would be to implement it as a dependent subagent for a master agent such as the Net-SNMP or Emanate agents. That would satisfy the RFC, management apps such as HP OpenView and it would render the system capable of running other subagents as needed, enhancing SNMP capabilities system wide.

Anybody care to add their two cents???

TIA,
Jay