[squid-users] Re: performance issues Please help

From: Adam Aube <aaube01@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 13:07:38 -0400

DWysocki@elginisd.net wrote:

> Our performance is not what I think it should be.
> And after awhile it slows down.

> We have on average between 250 and 500 connections to the internet at one
> time durring school hours.

> I am running Redhat 8
> Intell P3 server with 1gig Ram
> I am running Squid Version 2.5.Stable5

> cache_mem 250 MB
> cache_dir ufs /data/squid/var/cache 80000 16 256

> Store Entries : 3689485
> Store Directory #0 (ufs): /data/squid/var/cache

"My Squid becomes very slow after it has been running for some time"

http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/FAQ/FAQ-11.html#ss11.17

You are forcing your system to swap by running it out of RAM.

Solution:

1) Reduce your cache size to about 15000 (possibly even less)
2) Reduce cache_mem to about 32 MB (or less)

Some other suggestions:

1) The L1 split of 16 in the cache_dir line is good for up to about 6500 MB
of cache. Since you are using more than that, adjust it accordingly.
2) Try using aufs or diskd instead of ufs for better disk performance. Aufs
performs better than diskd on Linux and is fully compatible with your
existing ufs cache store.

Adam