[squid-users] FAQ - 5.13 IE 6.0 SP1 fails when using authentication

From: Karl Kopper <karl_kopper@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 11:20:00 -0700

Hi Squid Experts,

We've hit a problem that is described in the FAQ but I'm still stuck. Here
is the FAQ entry:

>When using authentication with Internet Explorer 6 SP1, you may encounter
issues when you first launch Internet Explorer. The problem will show itself
when you >first authenticate, you will receive a "Page Cannot Be Displayed"
error. However, if you click refresh, the page will be correctly displayed.
>This only happens immediately after you authenticate.
>This is not a Squid error or bug. Microsoft broke the Basic Authentication
when they put out IE6 SP1.

Yes, Mozilla does not have the problem.

>There is a knowledgebase article ( KB 331906) regarding this issue, which
contains a link to a downloadable "hot fix." They do warn that this code is
not >"regression tested" but so far there have not been any reports of this
breaking anything else. The problematic file is wininet.dll. Please note
that this hotfix is >included in the latest security update.

This hot fix will not install on the latest patched-up IE6. It says SP1 is
needed even though SP1 is applied. We have the problem even though we've
applied all of the security updates for IE6.

>Lloyd Parkes notes that the article references another article, KB 312176.
He says that you must not have the registry entry that KB 312176 encourages
users to >add to their registry.

Confirmed we don't have this registry entry.

> According to Joao Coutinho, this simple solution also corrects the
problem:
> Go to Tools/Internet
> Go to Options/Advanced
>UNSELECT "Show friendly HTTP error messages" under Browsing.

Unfortunately, this does not make a difference.

>Another possible workaround to these problems is to make the
ERR_CACHE_ACCESS_DENIED larger than 1460 bytes. This should trigger IE to
handle the >authentication in a slightly different manner.

Is this a config file change or source code change? Which source code file
is it in? I looked around but couldn't find any documentation on this. Has
anyone had any luck with this workaround?

--Karl