RE: [squid-users] Looks like cookie set up browser issue but it is not

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2004 02:47:18 +0200 (CEST)

On Sat, 24 Apr 2004, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:

> I will continue looking into this for some time as it interests me why
> this site dislikes being proxied when there should not be any difference.
> If it was a http site I could understand, but not in case of https.

So far the conclusions is that this server is quite broken and I am
suprised it at all works.

 * Most times (but not always) works when accessed directly using Mozilla
 * Always fails when accessed via Squid
 * Always fails when accessed by lynx
 * Always fails when accessed by Konqueror
 * Fails immediately when accessed using openssl s_client
 * Fails differently when using s_client but waiting 1 second after
sending the request line before sending request headers..

I have not yet fully concluded why it most times works when using Mozilla
directly but never when accessed via Squid. From what I can see it should
fail when accessed directly as well, but appears not. I can only assume
there is some subtle timing difference or similar as the s_client test
indicates the server is very sensitive to timing that in terms of HTTP
should not have any meaning at all.

The odd thing is however that little or none of these timing differences
is present when going via Squid vs going direct.. still a mystery what
this server is doing or reacting upon. But one thing is certain, this
server is extremely fragile and is not working the way it is supposed to.