Re: [squid-users] How do Squid use NAT table?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2004 20:01:48 +0200 (CEST)

On Sun, 25 Apr 2004, Viet Hai wrote:

> Due to the way squid work, it must save client's infomation somewhere.
> After Squid contact server and get answer, it will send back data to the
> requested client.

Yes, obviously.

> Can Hendrik tell me that:

Henrik.

> - Do squid use NAT table (Network Address Translation) to store infomatiion
> of clients connect to it? If that, what is the construction of NAT.

Squid is an application level proxy, not a NAT engine. Squid is not
concerned with NAT or even packets, just HTTP traffic at the application
level ontop of TCP.

> - If not, what is the way squid store clients' infomation to use after?

By their TCP connection to the application level proxy.

Clients connect to Squid. Squid connects to the web server.

> Can you tell me details (or material that contain those) about this
> (data structure which squid use, the way squid use this structure)??

The client IP is available in very many places within Squid, and is not
hard to find if looking for it. See for example the src acl.