Re: [squid-users] Authentication to Active Directory

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 12:28:06 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004, Johan de Vries wrote:

> In the Squid manual is the line:
> Squid writes cleartext usernames and passwords when talking to the external authentication processes
> In our AD setup is the use of plaintext passwords not allowed
> Still I want Squid to authenticate to the AD domain
> How can this be set up ?

You can still use NTLM authentication. See the Squid FAQ section on
winbind.

> In my opinion I don't need the NTLM stuff when I use the AD system
> Is this correct ?

NTLM is still needed, and supported by AD (unless you explicitly disabled
it).

> Questions about the winbindd daemon:
> I compiled Samba with: --with-ads --with-acl-support --with-winbind --with-winbind-auth-challenge
> When I start the winbindd and do a: net ads join
> then commands like: wbinfo -u will work
> Still there are errors in the log like:
> SPENGO login failed: Logon failure
> Kinit failed: Preauthentication failed

This is a Samba question. You will have higher rate of success by asking
this question in a suitable Samba forum.

I did not see any errors like this when joining an ADS domain in my last
tests.