Re: [squid-users] transparent caching with squid + CISCO CSS 11000

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 22:54:57 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 fclaire@free.fr wrote:

> I'd like to know if it's possible to make transparent caching with squid and
> CISCO CSS 11000 device. I need to have the squid server making the HTTP
> request using the client IP address as source (IP spoofing).

Look for TPROXY and it's related Squid patch.

Please note that Squid need to be inline with the traffic for client-ip
spoofing to work. If not there will be mayhem on return traffic (your
network won't have a clue that the return traffic should go to Squid, and
instead sends it to the clients)

There is also other possibilities, especially if your number of clients is
relatively small. If you have a NAT gateway then you can use temporary
private IP addresses assigned via tcp_outgoing_address and then map these
to the original client IP addresses at the NAT gateway.