[squid-users] single autoconf.pac with multiples squid proxy

From: Pascal DeMilly <list.squid@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 06:54:39 -0700

Hello,

I have a network with multiple locations connected over Frame relay.

Each location has also a DSL for internet access. Squid is running on
each router in transparent proxy mode right now. So far so good.

I would like to start authentication for some group of
people/workstations.

To minimize the impact of having to change everybody's browser settings,
and because some users move around the company, I have setup an internal
web server to serve an autoconf.pac file.

Now my questions:

How can I tell in the autoconf.pac what host the request came from, so I
can properly redirect to the appropriate (closest) proxy.

I kind of remember reading somewhere that one could setup a special DNS
record which a browser will initially query to get the address where to
download the autoconf.pac. Any ideas on how to do that?

Thanks in advance

Pascal