Re: [squid-users] cache cluster config management

From: Will Lowe <harpo@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 17:52:11 -0700

> Can you repeat them? (memory is short.. did not see them as exclusive of
> each other)

What I'm looking for is a way to have multiple squid peers (siblings)
autodiscover each other, or at least be able to use the same
squid.conf file. That way if I have a large number of them I don't
have to have a different config file for each one.

I had two different ideas for how to do this. Both could be done at
the same time.

1) Have squid ignore a "cache_peer" config line that lists the local
machine. This way I can put the same squid.conf file on all servers
and list all the servers as peers in it.

2) Have squid be able to "discover" other siblings on the network via
multicast. Modify the existing multicast support squid has to *use*
discarding them. HTCP would be a better protocol here than ICP, since
it allows for authenticating the discovered peers via a preshared key.

My analysis:

#1 is probably easy. #2 is more elegant but probably requires a lot
more code, since so far squid doesn't do HTCP multicast and also
doesn't support authentication in HTCP.

--
					thanks,

					Will