[squid-users] RE: RE: Numeric IP, in-addr issues

From: Adam Aube <aaube01@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 07 May 2004 15:46:52 -0400

Prash wrote:

> Surely I can't do a whois lookup (altho i haven't tried) if my service
> provider gives me just an IP but no dns entry?

Surely you can:

$ whois 208.57.0.11

OrgName: MPOWER COMMUNICATIONS CORP.

OrgAbuseHandle: MIAA-ARIN
OrgAbuseName: Mpower IP Abuse Administrator
OrgAbusePhone: +1-702-310-7018
OrgAbuseEmail: ip-abuse@mpowercom.net

[portions of whois output snipped for brevity]

> I'm thinking if the trend started (blocking IPs), there must've been a
> good reason. It is blocked even in my org.

I've never heard of such a trend, but just because it's trendy doesn't mean
it's a good idea. For example, it has become trendy in some circles to not
send bounce messages for non-existant addresses. This is a violation of the
RFCs, and leaves users thinking their mail went through when actually a
typo made it vanish. Trendy - yes; good idea - absolutely not.

Again, I ask - what is the reason? What is gained by doing so.

Adam