[squid-users] passing specific URL through a different (local) proxy

From: Alan B. Clegg <alan@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 08:59:59 -0400

Greetings all!

I'm guessing that this question may have been asked before, but I've been
through the FAQ and have searched the mailing list and have come up
relatively empty.

My situation is this:

I have a local proxy that creates a VPN to a 'secure site'. This (non-squid)
proxy listens on 12080 and passes all traffic that is not to the secure site
out using normal HTTP requests. It would be great if I could just aim my
browser at 12080, but the proxy is fragile, and crashes often.

What I'm trying to do is set up a squid proxy that will accept all HTTP
traffic, look for the specific URLs that need to go to the OTHER proxy and
pass them off, while conducting itself like a good squid and giving me all
of the benefits that I'm accustomed to.

My configuration includes this:

        cache_peer 127.0.0.1 parent 12080 0 no-query proxy-only default
        acl infragard dstdomain infragard.org
        always_direct deny infragard
        never_direct allow all

This seems to work correctly for all "non-infragard" traffic, but anything
that is destined for infragard.org goes to never-never land (ie, it never
seems to show up on the 'other' proxy, nor does squid put any record of it
into any of the .log files).

Am I correct in assuming (bad word, I know) that a "parent" can just be a
plain HTTP proxy and does not need to be a squid (seeing no-query)?

Any help on this would be much appreciated,
AlanC {trying to build a network out of tin cans and twine}

--
   We have shared the incommunicable experience of war. We felt, we still
   feel, the passion of life to its top. In our youths, our hearts were