[squid-users] HTTP1.1 persistent connections & pipelining when used as load balancer?

From: Edward Chee <edward_chee@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 12:36:23 -0700

Hi there

I'm trying to find an open source linux based load balancer that supports
persistent connections & pipelining to mutiple real servers. By maintaining
persistent connections and pipelining client requests, we minimize TCP
processing overhead & free up CPU cycles/memory on the real servers.

Riverstone networks and Netscaler make boxes that do these but from google
searches, it seems like they go for somewhere betw 30K-90K! LVS looks like a
well adopted load balancer with failover - But I can't find any info
indicating it supports persistent pipelined connections to real servers.

From scanning the Squid website and archives it looks like Squid might be
able to do this. I see that Squid can be configured in reverse-proxy mode as
a load balancer. I've also seen indications that HTTP1.1 persistent
connections is supported - but I haven't been successful at finding clear &
definitive documentation on this.

If anyone has done this, I would be most grateful to hear about it.

Thanks
ed