Re: [squid-users] maximum_object_size > 2GB prevents caching?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 10:41:22 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 17 May 2004, Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:

> Changing maximum_object_size to long long (or however is it called, iirc
> quad on FreeBSD) wouldn't help itself. Squid should be rewritten to use
> 64bit file access. squid 3.0 supports it for now.

Squid-2.5 is very unlikely to ever support this as Squid-2.5 is in feature
freeze since very long back (about 2 years) and adding support for this
requires extensive testing to catch all implicit or explicit casts from
(s)size_t to any base C type.. But if there is issues then bug fixes is
accepted.

In Squid-3 we have added a configure flag to enable 64-bit I/O on 32-bit
platforms, but this is still highly experimental. Testers are welcome to
test this feature once 3.0 stabilises a little more.. Please note that
the on-disk cache format is not compatible between 32 and 64 bit modes..

If you want to experiement with this in 2.5 then backporting the configure
option from Squid-3 is trivial, but I expect there will be other problems.