Re: [squid-users] Use Client IP instead of Proxy server IP for outgoing request

From: Hwee Khoon, Neo <hweekhoon.neo@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 12:32:16 +0800

This might be of interest...

From: http://isp-lists.isp-planet.com/isp-caching/0205/msg00034.html

> Allow me to stir the pot a bit,
>
> A few years ago on a consulting gig I ran into an ISP that claimed to be
> doing just this. The admin/programmer told me that he just "hacked a few
> lines of code in Squid" to accomplish it. He said the main trick was to
be
> very careful about how traffic was routed because they had to make sure
the
> traffic returned to the originating squid box.
>
> I am forgetting all the details, but because they were based out of a 3rd
> world country and their T1 costs were obscene they put a sniffer at the
> gateway so they could log ALL traffic (http, smtp, ftp, ect) and charge
> extra money for traffic with a destination off the Island. Like I said, I
> am forgetting all the details, but at the time the reasoning behind it
made
> sense and I had no reason to doubt that they were actually accomplishing
it.
> Feeling bold I asked him for "the few lines of code" but he said that
> because "the lists" said it was impossible and because a major vendor had
> made inquiries he wanted to keep it under his hat.
>
> So, Duane... do you think these guys were full of it or is it just
> impossible under ordinary circumstances?

Not possible under ordinary circumstances.

To the best of my knowledge, it cannot be done by modifying Squid alone.
You would also need to hack some kernel source code.

The Vixie Web Gateway Interceptor (http://www.vix.com/vix/wgi.html)
could do this (apparently). I don't know if WGI exists as a product
any more. Maybe some other commercial products can.

I'd love to talk to anyone with the resources (especially money) to
make this work with Squid.

Duane W.