[squid-users] Re: Re: Performance Question

From: Adam Aube <aaube01@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 23:19:24 -0400

Hendrik Voigtländer wrote:

> I am just not sure how to read those numbers. When should be a service
> time considered to high? I am quite sure that my hit service time is
> good, but I wasn't sure about the miss time.

Anything under ~ 1 seconds is probably fine for misses, and even up to 2
seconds depending on congestion and latency on your link.

Remember, a cache miss requires at least 1 TCP connection to a remote server
and possibly a DNS lookup (if it isn't cached). On top of that, there is
the time to download the data itself and the latency of your connection.

Additionally, a cache miss of a large file will take a long time to
download, and many of these over time will skew the average.

> Do you think there is any way for improving the hit ratios? Line is not
> paid per month and not by traffic, but higher hit ratio should IMHO mean
> further improving the service time.

Look at the refresh_pattern setting in your squid.conf. You will probably
get the most benefit by tuning settings for image files, which tend to be
large, downloaded often, and seldom changed.

>> Why are you concerned about performance? What bottlenecks are you seeing?

> Main reason for asking: I am just puzzled, that 1000 Clients are not
> pulling more than 40 requests/second @ 250kbytes/second. (We are talking
> about a company here, not internet access point or similar.)

The ufs store method is probably a major (if not the only) bottleneck here.
Try to solve the problems you were having with diskd - switching to it will
give you a performance boost over ufs.

diskd has its own FAQ section with configuration tips - maybe it will help:

http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/FAQ/FAQ-22.html

> pppoe on openBSD is not the fastest of his kind, probably there is room
> for improvement. I may try to switch over to debian/linux on this
> machine as well.

If you switch to Linux, use aufs instead of diskd (it performs better).

> I can not use delay pools, as I need to set smaller delays when going
> direct over a much smaller line (when parent is down). That is why
> parent connections are set to no-delay. I can not limit download size
> either. I am really stuck here.

How do you make that switch when the parent goes down?

Adam