[squid-users] MRTG for IP subnets

From: Miguel A Paraz <mparaz@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 11:54:49 +0000

Hi,
I need to display MRTG graphs for the request traffic of user groups,
classified by IP subnet. This is to be integrated into an existing MRTG
setup.

If I read the docs correctly, SNMP only knows about counters for
the total web traffic, and can't differentiate based on IP subnets or ACLs.

The obvious way to do it would be to go through the logfile every 5 minutes -
or the MRTG redraw interval - and look for matching IP's.
However, this is costly if the logfile is large.

Another possibility is to 'tail' the file and scan the new lines, keeping
the totals in memory and writing them to files. MRTG will then pick up the
numbers from the files.

Which of these would you recommend? Any experiences?
Thanks in advance!