[squid-users] Load Balancing 2 Squid Servers

From: <cob@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 20:08:55 -0300 (BRT)

Hello friends,

I've been studying (or trying to) squid reading the documentation, FAQ and
this mailing list. I have a squid server running on a lab for testing
porpouses and I would like to know if someone from this community could
help me with a doubt.

My squid (SQUID 2.4-STABLE5) is running on the same Linux machine that
acts as the LAB firewall/gateway with transparent (netfilter) proxying. I
read that it is possible to load balance it with other squid servers when
CPU becomes a problem.
My question is: for this scenario (1 squid server running on the firewall and
other as a simple host on my network), how is the best peering method for
load balancing 'em ? Is it the best method for more than 2 servers too?

I'm using Linux Slackware 9.1 and installed squid with these options:

configure options: --enable-linux-netfilter --disable-ident-lookups
--enable-removal-policies=heap,lru --enable-delay-pools
--enable-cache-digests --enable-pool --enable-truncate
--enable-stacktraces --enable-underscores --with-pthreads
--enable-storeio=aufs --enable-async-io
--enable-default-err-language=Portuguese --enable-carp

(from this mailing list)

Thank you all in advance and I hope I can put this squid in production as
soon as possible.

Regards,
Cob Dalton (Brazil)
Analista de Suporte - TI