[squid-users] Re: squid authentication

From: Adam Aube <aaube01@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 29 May 2004 12:19:55 -0400

Please reply to the list - not to me directly.

On Saturday 29 May 2004 02:12 am, curtorkar@sancharnet.in wrote:
>> Can you test the helper successfully from the command line?

> u mean running the ncsa_auth prog with the options.

Yes. Run the ncsa_auth program just like you configured it in squid.conf.
Then type "username password" (using a valid username and password) and hit
enter. You should see "OK" in response.

>> Is the user Squid runs as able to read the password file?

> am not sure if the user squid runs as able to read the password file.
> can u help me check that.

su to the user Squid runs as, then test the helper from the command line as
above.

>> Any errors in cache.log?

> no errors in cache log but access log gives tcp_miss and tcp_denied
> messages.

>> What auth_param, acl, and http_access lines are in your squid.conf?

> auth_param basic program /usr/lib/squid/ncsa_auth /usr/etc/passwd
> acl ncsa_users src 172.16.0.0/255.255.0.0
> acl ncsa_users proxy_auth REQUIRED

You cannot have two acl lines with the same name and different types.

I think you should read (or re-read) the Access Controls and Authentication
FAQs before proceeding.

http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/FAQ/FAQ-10.html
http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/FAQ/FAQ-23.html

Adam