[squid-users] Re: max cache size?

From: Adam Aube <aaube01@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 30 May 2004 20:26:51 -0400

Michael wrote:

> I have an extra 120GB drive I'm not using for anything. Would there be
> any downside to devoting the entire drive to a Squid cache?

First of all, you should only use about 80% of the drives capacity for cache
if the drive is purely for caching - the reasons are in the FAQ.

Second, a drive of this size would require a massive amount of memory to
hold cache metadata - approximately 10 MB per GB of cache. That's just the
metadata - that does not include other memory used by Squid, the OS, and
any other applications.

> Can Squid even use that big of a cache?

Yes, though you should increase the L1 and L2 settings accordingly - the
defaults are good for about 6.5 GB of cache.

Adam