Re: [squid-users] Too many queued redirector requests

From: Deepa D <deepndharma@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 05:50:13 +0100 (BST)

Hi Hendrik,
    I have been following this thread of mails and I
have a problem with the number of redirectors too.
    I am using squid-2.5.STABLE5 configured to work
with caching disabled. I am using a redirector that
does some url filtering using a local database. I have
timed the redirector - it takes anywhere between 42
msecs to 2000 msecs at times to process. I am running
squid on a system with the configuration -
Linux-2.4.18-14, P4, 512 MB RAM. We have other
applications like a web server, etc that are also
running on this system.
    You had mentioned in ur earlier mail that ur
system is so configured that 80% of the requests are
handled by the first redirector, 10% by the second and
so on. Could you kindly elaborate as to how this
done - or is it the way squid works? If this is the
case, then adding more redirectors shd not solve my
problem.
    I tried conducting some simple load tests with
squid using the redirectors.
   1 redirector worked fine for 5 simultaneous browser
clients(that is w/o throwing a FATAL error and
restarting),
   2 redirectors worked fine for 14 browser clients
  but subsequent tests showed that even with 5
redirector clients,20 browser clients cud not be
handled simultaneously. I don't want to enable
redirctor bypass though.
   I am failing to understand this behaviour. I would
be thankful if u cud spare some time to explain what
cud be happening here and tell me a solution for it.
   Regards and TIA,
       Deepa

 --- Hendrik_Voigtländer <hendrik@voigtlaenders.net>
wrote: > Hi,