RE: [squid-users] Squid performance issue

From: Elsen Marc <elsen@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2004 08:35:40 +0200

> Hello all,
>
> I have been using squid for quite some time, and I just
> installed squid here
> at my office on a big dual Xeon Compaq Proliant server. Unfortunately
> however, I have been having some severe performance issues. Browsing
> through the proxy is SLOW. I have found the following in the log:
>
> CPU Usage: 12.240 seconds = 7.280 user + 4.960 sys
> Maximum Resident Size: 0 KB
> Page faults with physical i/o: 16388
> Memory usage for squid via mallinfo():
> total space in arena: 6076 KB
> Ordinary blocks: 5971 KB 27 blks
> Small blocks: 0 KB 5 blks
> Holding blocks: 192 KB 1 blks
> Free Small blocks: 0 KB
> Free Ordinary blocks: 104 KB
> Total in use: 6163 KB 101%
> Total free: 104 KB 2%
>
> Should I be concerned with the Total Free, the Total in use,
> or the Total
> space in arena data fields? How could I adjust that to better suite my
> configuration?
>
> The install of squid is very basic. I installed from source
> (squid-2.5.STABLE5) and the only additions that I made to the
> default config
> were the following:
>
> httpd_accel_host virtual
> httpd_accel_port 80
> httpd_accel_with_proxy on
> httpd_accel_uses_host_header on
>
> cache_effective_user squid
> cache_effective_group squid
>
> acl our_networks src 192.168.0.0/24
> http_access allow our_networks
>

> Can anyone shed any light on this? Any help is greatly appreciated.

  - Check cache.log during operation; watchout for any strange errors
  - make sure SQUID is not hampered by a malfunctioning DNS setup (resolving);
    check cachemgr -> Internal DNS Statistics
  - I have the same low value for 'Total Free' in the mem. stats ; though I
    don't have a performance problem. This value is probably relative
    to the already obtained mem. needed for SQUID operation, thus not
    indicating problems. related to lack of memory, I presume.

  M.