RE: [squid-users] Hardware Requirements

From: Chris Perreault <Chris.Perreault@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 07:09:38 -0400

One solution to this problem is to put a sniffer on your network and capture
http traffic for a week. That will let you know how much http downloads
occur in a week's time period. From there you can figure out how much space
to allow for caching, memory, etc. This is also a good benchmark because
then you can perform the same data capture after your proxy is installed and
see what kind of bandwidth savings is occuring. Your ISP may also be able to
provide you some sort of report as to how much http traffic you are using
each week. Peak days, hours, etc.

Answering your question is hard, because your 100 users may seldom use the
internet, or they may all be engineers or graphic designers (or IT folks)
who might be downloading large software patches, images, or cad drawings.

Chris Perreault