[squid-users] Squid and mod_expires

From: Kent, Mr. John \(Contractor\) <kent@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 12:17:31 -0700

Greetings,

Writing to find out if the interaction between
Squid and Apache with mod-expires is what I think it is
(that Squid will honor the Apache expires tags just as
a browser would).

Using Squid as an accelerator on top of an Apache server farm.

If I have a directory of images and for that directory
within my apache servers config file have set

   ExpiresActive On
   ExpiresDefault "access plus 15 minutes"

Does this mean:
The first time a client accesses an image in this directory
the image will remain in Squid's cache for 15 minutes, then
drop out. It will be re-entered into the squid cache the
next time a client accesses the image again, remaining in
cache for another 15 minutes then drop out of cache ... repeat forever?

As compared to:

   ExpiresActive On
   ExpiresDefault "modification plus 15 minutes"

Which I think will cause Squid to cache the image only
for the first 15 minutes of its existence and then never
be cached again regardless of subsequent hits.

No expires info means the image will be cached per Squid's rules.

Is this right or wrong?

Thank you,

John Kent
Webmaster