[squid-users] Re: auth_param in squid-2.5.STABLE3-5.3E

From: Adam Aube <aaube01@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 22:07:36 -0400

Aquileo García Blancas wrote:

> I have squid-2.5.STABLE3-5.3E, and i trying to configure the
> auth_param with pam or other program to validate users and passwords

> Because, I'm trying as follow (with pam):
>
> auth_param basic program /usr/lib/squid/pam_auth
> auth_param ntlm children 5
> auth_param basic realm Squid proxy-caching web server
> auth_param basic credentialsttl 2 hours

That second auth_param line needs to use the basic type, not the NTLM type.

> And other configuration with ncsa:
>
> auth_param basic program /usr/bin/ncsa_auth /usr/etc/passwd
> auth_param ntlm children 5
> auth_param basic realm Squid proxy-caching web server
> auth_param basic credentialsttl 2 hours

Same problem as above - you're mixing basic and NTLM types in your config.

Try testing the helpers from the command line - something like:

echo "username password" | pam_auth

If you specify a correct username and password, you should get an "OK" back.
If you get an "ERR" instead, check the documentation for the helpers to see
if you've set them up properly.

Make sure to do this testing as a non-root user, since Squid (and therefore,
its helpers) will not be running as root in practice.

Adam