Re: [squid-users] Some doubts!

From: Christoph Haas <email@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 21:17:20 +0200

On Tue, Jun 15, 2004 at 06:00:23PM +0000, Pundaleek P Belamge wrote:
> Following are questions regarding SQUID?

I assume they are. Why do you ask?

> I knew that squid keeps hot objects stored in RAM, by maintaining an
> INDEX table. Now my question is:
>
> How it maintains the INDEX table?
>
> What INDEX values are stored in that table?

Can't help here. I'm not familiar with how the data structures in RAM
look like. But as they are volatile I usually do not care about them.

> How it points to the, exact location where the, actual objects stored
> in hard drive?

It does not. In RAM are just small temporary objects. Most objects are
written to disk (cache_dir).

> When the machine switched off and then restarted or rebooted, the
> contents of RAM will gets erased.

The hot objects will just go away. Why bother?

> That time no INDEX table nothing. Now how it points to the specific
> objects(without INDEX table) that already stored in hard drive?

That information is held in the "swap.state" file - not RAM.

 Christoph

--
~
~