[squid-users] How often should I restart Squid?

From: Lizzy Dizzy <lizzy_99@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 03:31:26 +0000

Hi Folks,

I've got a pretty busy squid proxy server (approx 50-100 request /sec).

Is there any guideline as to how often do we need to restart squid (e.g.
shutdown and start squid)? The reason is that I found out that squid uses up
my 2.5GB of RAM leaving only 6MB. Also it uses up half of my 500MB
swapspace.

When squid started using so much swapspace, does it means that there's many
obsolete objects inside the RAM that has been forgotten and thus will not be
removed/swapped out?

Thanks
LIZZ