Re: [squid-users] How often should I restart Squid?

From: Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uhlar@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 14:59:02 +0200

On 21.06 06:20, Lizzy Dizzy wrote:
> I see, but according to Duane,
>
> http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2004/02/12/squid.html
>
> ".....Another thing that can help is to simply restart Squid periodically,
> say, once per week. Over time, something may happen (such as a network
> outage) that causes Squid to temporarily allocate a large amount of memory.
> Even though Squid may not be using that memory, it may still be attached to
> the Squid process. Restarting Squid allows your operating system to truly
> free up the memory for other uses....."

Is that true? That should be considered as a bug probably...
Maybe it's dependant on memory_pools setting...

> If a client switches off his computer suddenly, is it equivalent to a
> "network outage"? I've read the FAQ, but could'nt ascertain that using the
> SWAP space is a bad thing. Does your caching servers uses up 250MB of SWAP?

250MB of what swap?

I have:
cache_mem 256 MB
cache_dir ufs /mount/proxy 30000 256 256

        UP Time: 4487960.137 seconds
        Process Data Segment Size via sbrk(): 896024 KB
Memory accounted for:
        Total accounted: 477263 KB

PID USERNAME PRI NICE SIZE RES STATE C TIME WCPU CPU COMMAND
328 proxyd 2 0 879M 704M poll 0 605:00 0.00% 0.00% squid

the machine has 2GB of memory...