Re: [squid-users] How often should I restart Squid?

From: Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uhlar@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 09:29:14 +0200

On 21.06 20:03, Hendrik Voigtländer wrote:
> Yes, our proxy did use swap until I disabled it :-)
> 2GB RAM, squid process is stable at roughly 1GB process size,
> nevertheless the machine started swapping.
> I never figured out why, but the proxy is running fine without any
> swapspace. This is dangerous with a squid still growing.

growing in what way? is the process size still ~1GB?
how much of that size is in memory (size/res values in top)?

> Using swap (for the squid process) affects performance.

yes, but it can increase and decrease performance too, that depends on HOW
it's being used.

> I would reduce cache_mem and probably the size of the cache_dir(s) to
> avoid this situation.

I don't think you need to do this...

10 GOTO 10 : REM (C) Bill Gates 1998, All Rights Reserved!