Re: [squid-users] How often should I restart Squid?

From: Bruno Marcondes <bmarcondes@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 22:19:54 -0300

Folks,
I had this weird behavior with squid on a RH9 server using kernel
2.4.22 , 2Gb of memory (the server was DL380 G3 from Compaq/HP), the
swap usage was slowly growing forever and I even
try disabling it with no harms , but I didn't want do it ...why ? It
shouldn't swap !
My squid is set behind a apache + mod_proxy as a web accelerator
caching requests for other sites in a reverse proxy configuration. It
is very busy ( ~ 160 reqs/s ) .

10 days ago I upgrade to kernel 2.6.6, guess what ..... NO swap usage anymore !
All the memory is allocated, but ~50 % of it is cached .

Upgrading the kernel on my squid servers went pretty good for me so far ...

regards
Bruno Marcondes