Re: [squid-users] hi im new, can squid do the following

From: Hendrik Voigtländer <hendrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2004 15:13:25 +0200

Mohsin Khan wrote:
> You can use a PAC file to obatin the some how similar
> result.

You can use proxy.pac to provide failover and load balancing only when
multiple squids are all accessible by the clients.

Additionaly for all the clients without auomatic configuration or when
you have a proxy which is only reachable by other proxies (firewalls
etc) you could implement a parent-child relationships. You may need to
adjust how object are retrieved. Have a look at always_direct &
never_direct after specifying a parent.

We use a similar approach: Nearly everything is fetched through a
parent. When the parent goes down, everything is fetched direct. I have
never tried it the other way round but I remember this question on the
list somehow. Check the archives.

Regards, Hendrik Voigtländer