Re: [squid-users] How often should I restart Squid?

From: Bruno Marcondes <bmarcondes@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 16:55:38 -0300

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 14:05:01 +0200, Matus UHLAR - fantomas
<uhlar@fantomas.sk> wrote:

> On 25.06 22:19, Bruno Marcondes wrote:
> > I had this weird behavior with squid on a RH9 server using kernel
> > 2.4.22 , 2Gb of memory (the server was DL380 G3 from Compaq/HP), the
> > swap usage was slowly growing forever and I even
> > try disabling it with no harms , but I didn't want do it ...why ? It
> > shouldn't swap !
>
> it did not swap. It is just linux kernel behaviour that it saves some
> memory pages onto swap even if there's no need for it. IT is an
> optimalization feature so that makes nothing bad for you.
> If you have enough memory, you really can turn off swap.

But it was consuming swap resources without ever freeing it.
I take care of a lot of other linux boxes running apache+mod_mem_cache
, apache + jrun/jetty + java and other memory consuming applications
and have never seen this swap indefinitely growing usage behavior on
then.
After all kernel-2.6.6 gave my squid server more performance and that
behavior is gone.