Re: [squid-users] ./squid -z questions

From: Hendrik Voigtländer <hendrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 19:26:48 +0200

Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:

> As long as RAM usage depends on number of files in cache, increasing
> maximum storage size will lower the number of files in cache and thus
> decrease the memory consumption. Also, with LFUDA replacement policy it
> will increate the byte hit radio.

No doubt that this will lower the RAM usage somehow. Let me rephrase my
question: Any idea on what scale e.g. a doubled maximum_object_size will
lower the RAM requirement (in percent)? (Same with switching the
replacement policy).
IMHO RAM usage depends on the _mean_ object size, and this is not
directly configurable as it depends on the type of traffic going through
the machine. I think it is difficult to predict the RAM requirements and
thats why I would always start with a smaller cache_dir and add some
space later on while monitoring the RAM usage.

Regards, Hendrik.