RE: [squid-users] Re: Re: authentication

From: James Zuelow <James_Zuelow@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2004 09:06:33 -0800

>Also, I must mention here,
> # wbinfo -t gives me an error.
>
>I am pretty confused how these pieces fit together.
>I mean how is samba (what in world is winbind) and
>squid and windows server fit together.
>
>Any help on this please?
>
>With warm regards,
>-Payal

When Squid is run on a Linux server, and you want to use NTLM
authentication, it needs a mechanism to authenticate users against the
Windows domain.

Samba is a software product that allows a Unix/Unixlike machine (Linux,
etc.) to join and work in a Microsoft Windows based network. Samba itself
is not used by Squid, however it needs to be configured for winbind to work.

Winbind is a component of Samba that performs user and group authentication
against a Windows server. This component of Samba can be used by Squid,
specifically when using ntlm authentication, to authenticate users. The
"wb" in wbinfo, etc. refers to winbind.

If wbinfo -t generates an error, then your Samba installation isn't quite
right. Perhaps you haven't completely joined the domain, or you don't have
a machine account for your Linux server. There are a variety of things that
could have gone wrong. You should turn to the Samba documentation to make
sure that Samba is installed and working correctly - Squid's ability to
authenticate Windows usernames and passwords depends on it.

Cheers,

James