[squid-users] Connection reset by peer error

From: <Paul.Fiero@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2004 15:15:32 -0500

We are currently running Squid version 2.5 stable 3 with the following
compile options '--prefix=/usr/local/squid' '--enable-icmp'
'--enable-useragent-log' '--enable-referer-log' '--enable-wccpv2'
'--enable-linux-netfilter' '--enable-async-io' '--enable-ssl'
'--with-openssl'. We are running this on a Dell PowerEdge 2350 server
with a 2.8Ghz processor and 2Gb RAM and 96GB of RAID5 storage.

I am utilizing SquidGuard for content filtering.

This setup is running on two identical boxes where the installation
process was duplicated from one box to the other. We are running wccp
on our core Cisco switches to handle failover on those boxes.

This setup has been running fine for over a year with the occasional
wiping of the cache and restart using squid -z then re-running the
startup script I wrote. I have not had a single problem with this
seetup until the last two days. Suddenly I began to get errors when
connecting to Yahoo's mail system (just mail, the other sections of
Yahoo work fine), hotmail, and some sites that our users have to access
at some vendor sites that use .asp pages. Now whenever I try to go to
one of those troubled sites I get a connection reset by peer error on
the browser and nothing else in the cache.log.

To compound the puzzle if I shut down both squid boxes then all my
traffic goes through our Pix firewall and works just fine (the squid
boxes sit parallel to the Pix not behind it) then as soon as we start up
squid and try it fails with the same errors.

Does anyone have any thoughts or comments? Like I said this has run
fine for a year or so and just started in the last 2 days.....nothing
has been done to these servers prior to this problem starting.

--
Paul Fiero
Information Security Analyst