[squid-users] Diskd settings questions

From: Pete Davis <peted@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2004 20:18:37 -0500

I have successfully set up several Squid boxes on FreeBSD (4.x and 5.x).
 They are running well with no problems to speak of at the time.
Searching through the mailing list archives does wonders for your
knowledge.

I do have questions about Diskd settings:
1)what are the optimum settings for Diskd on FreeBSD? The FAQ has
information on the settings but warns, "You can set the parameters in
the kernel as follows. This is just an example. Make sure the values are
appropriate for your system:". I cannot find how to adjust the values
based on the box (I have several different sized servers). I use the
default settings but I have never really stressed the box enough to know
if those settings (from the FAQ) are good if/when the load goes up. I
am one of the "I like to know before I have to know (before a
problem??)" kind of people.

2) Should I change to the settings in the FAQ even though many of those
settings are much less than what the current settings are (GENERIC
kernel). Latest server (this is a test box to do testing on every
possible combination I might need- transparent, null cache, diskd, aufs,
different replacement options, different authorization schemes, etc) is:
PIII 933, 512mb, 2x9scsi on FreeBSD 5.2.1. This box has the following
settings for SYSVSHM (current settings followed by FAQ suggestion):
SHMSEG=128 (FAQ= 16)
SHMMNI=192 (FAQ=32)
SHMMAX=33554432 (FAQ=2097152)
SHMALL=8194 (FAQ=4096)

I'll eventually blow the config away and load SuSE Enterprise server on
it (then learn how to optimize a Linux server). There seems to be more
information about settings for Squid+Linux.

Thanks for any light you may be able to shed on this.