Re: [squid-users] squid startup problem

From: Marc Hultquist <marc@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2004 12:44:26 +0200

On Monday, 5 July 2004 12:35, Puneet wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I am new to linux.
>
> I wanted to install squid proxy server for our office network.
>
> i get the following eror when i try to start squid.
>
> > parseConfigFile: line 2052 unrecognized: 'eriva7'
> > FATAL: Could not determine fully qualified hostname. Please set
>
> 'visible_hostname'
>
> > Squid Cache (Version 2.5.STABLE3): Terminated abnormally.
> > CPU Usage: 0.000 seconds = 0.000 user + 0.000 sys
> > Maximum Resident Size: 0 KB
> > Page faults with physical i/o: 358
> > /etc/rc.d/init.d/squid: line 162: 11750 Aborted
>
> in the squid.conf file, i have made 4 changes, allowed the proxy http port,
>
> added a acl of mygroup
>
> i have tried setting visible_hostname in the squid.conf file to eriva7 but
> it does not seem to help.
>
> i also tried the following commands
>
> [ root@eriva7 etc] hostname
> eriva7
> [ root@eriva7 etc] domainname
> eriva
>
> let me know what the solution is.
>
> thanks
> Puneet
Have you setup eriva7 in your /etc/hosts file ? If not your squid wont be able
to get a fully qualified hostname for the server. Try setting say
eriva7.domain.tld to point towards a internal IP. ? Heres my settings.

[root@hdproxy squid]# cat squid.conf | grep hostname
visible_hostname hdproxy.cks.co.za
unique_hostname hdproxy.cks.co.za
[root@hdproxy squid]# hostname