Re: [squid-users] How can I share my ISDN-connection over LAN

From: Hendrik Voigtländer <hendrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2004 08:52:51 +0200

cooperd@web.de wrote:

> Hi there,
> I intend to share my ISDN-Dailup connection with the other clients in my LAN.
> Under Windows [Windoof] I was able to run a proxy-server called Jana-Server
> from www.janaserver.de. That one runnig very well and I can't cpmplain. But
> now I'm mainly using Linux, that also means no proxy running anymore. Because
> switching the OS all the time sucks, I wanted to now generally is it possible
> to configure a proxy-sever sharing my ISDN-Connection.
>
> Thanks,
> David

Hello,

I checked the site of janaserver: To can provide the nearly the same
services as with janaserver with linux, but squid is only a part of the
puzzle. You will need some additional daemons: a named (bind), MTA/MDA
(postfix/procmail/imapd?) and probably a webserver (apache).

You can also think about masquerading/NAT with iptables. You are
probably already familiar with iptables, if you have hooked up your
linux-box to the net.

However, if you have only a couple of clients to serve you may want to
setup a dedicated linux router - try http://www.fli4l.de/ , this
minidistro will run on nearly any pc-hardware - a 486 is sufficient for
ISDN, no harddrive needed.
There is also a squid available for this minilinux - but you will need
to add a hdd in this case.

Regards, Hendrik Voigtländer.