RE: [squid-users] cache_peer with multiple IP addresses

From: Merton Campbell Crockett <mcc@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 07:14:01 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004, Elsen Marc wrote:

> > Squid arrays

> > have noticed
> > >
> > > What are those problems, then ?
> > > Details, error messages e.d...
> >
> > The "detected DEAD parent/sibling" messages in the cache log. Squid
> > records multiple IP addresses for several siblings and the parent in
> > an array. The [0] element of the array may be the one with the
> > longest delay or unreachable.
> >
> > Is there a mechanism to define a preference order to IP addresses?
>
> Not that I known off, but there is an option to 'allocate' some weight
> and thus probably usage preference to defined parents.

Unfortunately, "weight" applies to all IP addresses assigned to a parent
or sibling.

I am, in essence, forced to change from using domain names to IP addresses
to define parents and siblings until ARIN allows me to change name servers
and the problem goes away. Any known issues with using IP addresses?

--
BEGIN:				vcard
VERSION:			3.0