RE: [squid-users] redirection?

From: Chris Perreault <Chris.Perreault@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 14:09:08 -0400

Rick,

Logically map out what you'd like to have happen. I get stuck on this one.
Define "initial", map all the steps out that you need to have occur.

I'm a user, and I input www.google.com into my browser. As an admin, do you
want me to "initially" go to google or to this disclaimer page?

If the disclaimer page...ok, you can redirect www.google.com (or all
traffic) to go to the disclaimer page, but...it always will go there. There
isn't a counter type thing that knows you already attempted google once, so
the next time it should let really go to google.

I suppose, using the ACL's you could check against a userlist. If they are
not in the list, then they get redirected to the signup/disclaimer page.
This signup page/application needs to populate the "ok" userlist quickly and
on the fly though. You need this site to always be accessable too. Otherwise
if a user tried to reach a subpage within the disclaimer site, squid would
again redirect them to the homepage of the disclaimer site.

I'm new at squid too, only been using it a month or so, and not in the way
you want to use it either. Knowing something is possible is half the battle
though, the rest is just figuring it out and making it go.

Chris Perreault
Webmaster/MCSE
The Wiremold Company
West Hartford, CT 06010