[squid-users] Re: download.windowsupdate.com

From: Adam Aube <aaube01@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 14:32:38 -0400

Brett Glass wrote:

> Squid does NOT handle Windows Update properly. In fact, it multiplies
> the traffic by a factor of 1000 in some cases! This is a serious bug
> in Squid that really should be fixed.

After considering the fact that Squid works flawlessly with thousands of
websites across the Internet, I doubt that this is a Squid bug.

I think a better explanation is that Windows Update downloads in a manner
that is unfriendly to standards-compliant proxies. A packet sniffer (such
as tcpdump) could show just what the problem is.

Adam