RE: [squid-users] Re: One step away from getting winbind authentication working...

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 19:55:34 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004, Herman (ISTD) wrote:

> I have located the winbind pipe directory, will try it later for winbind
> authentication. However actually what is the function of the pipe ? I
> think I cannot find this information on squid FAQ.

It is the communication channel to winbind.

Because NTLM part of authentication requires special privileges when
talking to the domain Samba is a little restrictive with who may use this
by default. This permission problem is due to the design of Samba
ntlm_auth and documented in the Samba ntlm_auth and winbind documentation.

  http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/ntlm_auth.1.html
  http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/winbindd.8.html

(or "man ntlm_auth", "man winbindd")