Re: [squid-users] download.windowsupdate.com

From: Brett Glass <brett@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 20:04:44 -0600

At 07:54 AM 7/18/2004, Merton Campbell Crockett wrote:

>I have several Squid proxy caches running in a production environment but
>haven't encountered any problems with the cacheable content from Windows
>Update "messing" up the cache. Other than the basic Windows Update page
>there is little cacheable content.

Actually, most of it is cacheable; Microsoft simply marks it as
non-cacheable. If you don't override that, you may find that
80% or more of your bandwidth is consumed by updates.

The problem is that Squid doesn't handle subranges of files
very well when there's a cache hierarchy. The child cache,
when it gets the request, re-fetches the entire file from the
parent cache in order to cut out the subrange.

--Brett Glass