RE: [squid-users] Re: Implementation issues

From: Chris Perreault <Chris.Perreault@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 10:41:45 -0400

Rick said:

From the user perspective, the first thing they will see is the disclaimer
page. Clicking either the login or activation link will be the same as
accepting the conditions. Where would I modify the authentication window?

thanks

rick...
Rom.5:8

++++++++++++++
++++++++++++++

>>> Merton Campbell Crockett <mcc@CATO.GD-AIS.COM> 7/22/2004 8:20:00 AM

Out of curiousity, why is the notification that computer and network usage
will be monitored being deferred until this late in the game?

The monitoring began the moment the individual logged into the sorkstation
or laptop and requested to use the Windows NOS. The pop-up authentication
window can be modified to display the notification message and inform the
user that he is agreeing to be monitored by submitting his credentials.

At one site where I did some work, the login process was modified so that
a separate pop-up window was used. If you clicked on the accept button,
the authentication window was displayed.

Merton Campbell Crockett

+++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++

Chris replies:
I know I asked this before, but what are they authenticating to? These
students/guests/faculty/etc, do they log into a windows network, unix
system, etc? Or can anyone who plugs their computer into a dorm room have
access to your computer network? Are these personally owned PC's or campus
computers? Login scripts can be used to pop up a disclaimer page. If all
users of the network need a userid and password, then can you use the same
one for internet access? Ie: if you want internet access, you need to log
onto the campus network first.

Chris Perreault