[squid-users] squid ftp proxying clarification

From: Siju George <ml_sgeorge@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2004 16:11:01 +0530

Dear Squid people,

I was using a Windows proxy server for connecting Our LAN users to the
Internet. So once the ftp-client program in the users computers was
configured with the Windows Proxy IP address and another port other than
21(which is specified as FTP proxy port in the Windows Proxy Server) in the
ftp-proxies section,users could connect to ftp sites on the internet by just
typing the site URL in the ftp-client. The ftp-client most of us use is
FileZilla.

I Plan to swithch over to OpenBSD 3.5 Proxy and Firewall machine. So now I
have OpenBSD 3.5 installed on a computer with Squid Proxy Installed on it. I
also managed to get Squid configured and the LAN users can access the
Websites on the Internet through it. There is no problem with http access
and it is much faster I think.

I am a bit confused about configuring the ftp proxy part of it. I got a bit
confused from the documentation about transparent proxying and all.

Could You please tell me what are the parameters I should change in the
squid.conf and what values I should give them so that the users in the LAN
can access the FTP sites as earlier?

Is it possible to restrict users and specify which users can access which
sites?

Note: The Squid Proxy is installed on an OpenBSD 3.5 computer with 2 NICs.
One NIC has an Internet static IP address and is connected to an ADSL
router. The other NIC has an Internal IP Address and is connected to the LAN
switch.

Could you also please refer me to some resource on the internet which
explains what "transparent proxying" is and what "passive mode" and "active
mode" is.

If I enable "packet filtering" in OpenBSD are there specific issues that I
should be careful about while using "Squid Proxy"?

Thanks for this Proxy Software

God Bless you

Siju