Re: [squid-users] Re: How does DNS go through squid?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 00:30:34 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 11 Jun 2004, Adam Aube wrote:

> > If I set my browser settings manually, and type a non-existing url. I get
> > a message from squid saying it couldn't do a look up. However, when I make
> > squid transparent. I don't see the same page again.
>
> The browser doesn't think it's using a proxy, so it ignores the error.

To be exact when the browser is configured to use a proxy it forwards all
requested URLs to the proxy without first doing a DNS lookup. If there is
a problem with the URL the proxy will find out and give an error message.

When the browser is not configured to use a proxy it first makes a DNS
lookup to find the IP address and then connect to the returned IP address.
If the requested hostname does not exists the browser won't find what IP
address to connect to and it can do nothing else than showing it's own
error message stating that the host can not be found.