Re: [squid-users] cache drive size question

From: Hendrik Voigtländer <hendrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 07:28:24 +0200

Jeff Donovan wrote:
> what is the max hard drive size squid can use?
>
> I've been using 16 gigs of a 120Gig drive with great success. But i was
> wondering if I could get better performance by utilizing the rest of the
> drive resources. Would partitioning the drive into multiple pieces at
> squids max size limit be the way to go?

Check the FAQ about RAM requirements, AFAIK this is the limiting factor
of the cache_dir size:
http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/FAQ/FAQ-8.html#ss8.11

Partitioning won't make a (major) difference.

It is quite common to use multiple big disks (more spindles) to improve
performance but this will increase the "waste" of disk space.

Regards, Hendrik Voigtländer