RE: [squid-users] Squid HTTP headers

From: Chris Perreault <Chris.Perreault@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 14:31:18 -0400

 Stay tuned...We are contracting The Linux Box to do just this. Work started
on it today.

Why?

Our scenario for squid is in a reverse proxy mode. We have multiple back end
servers, which we are making look like one big server. Ie:
inside.ourcompany.com/app1 points to the app1 internal webserver.
Inside.ourcompany.com/app2 points to the app2 webserver. To the end user it
will appear like one big webserver. One of the webservers needs to do a
basic auth to give access. Squid is currently also doing BA with ldap and
you can't do two BA's in one web session, so we need to change the squid BA
to a form based authentication on a webpage. Meanwhile, we still also need
to be able to pass down the username to the back end webservers so a couple
of the webservers can make use of a profile database (with a username that
matches the ldap username) for giving access to content, web portal style.
The goal is to be able to take content from any header and copy it into any
other headername we make up (or that a webapp requires) and/or add our own
made up content to a headername we make up. That should make it flexable for
a variety of uses others may have. The form based auth page will have to be
on a webserver, so we'll install apache, but the header modification part
should become a helper app that squid can make use of.

Chris